We created the concept, strategy, narrative and content for the first national NHS campaign to jointly promote blood and organ donation in the UK, identifying faith groups as strategic partners and brokering the first national partnership between the NHS and the Church.

PUBLIC BODY  |  CHARITY  |  BEHAVIOUR CHANGE  |  CAMPAIGN  |  PARTNERSHIPS

THE DETAILS

96% of the UK depend on the other 4% to give blood and only 31% of the population are registered on the NHS Organ Donor Register. We isolated faith groups and in particular the UK Church as a key demographic for potential donors and worked with NHSBT to create the 'fleshandblood' campaign, developing the accompanying strategy, brand and narrative.

An estimated 10% of the UK regularly attends a church and for the majority of churchgoers, generosity is considered an element of their religious expression. We created a single communications narrative as a focus for fleshandblood: 'What if the Church saw blood and organ donation as part of its giving?' , and brokered the first national partnership between the NHS and UK Churches, comprising 13 national bodies and organisations, whilst also securing external funding for a two-year campaign.

Over the two year campaign, more than 50,000 local church leaders were directly informed and resourced, leading to a double digit increase in churchgoers who give blood and are registered on the NHS Organ Donor Register. 71% of churchgoers now report to seeing blood and organ donation as a part of their Christian giving or are open to the idea, with a corresponding 77% increase in churches mentioning blood donation and 96% increase on the topic of organ donation.

The campaign received support from seven Catholic and Anglican Archbishops including former Archbishop of Canterbury and presiding Master of Magdalene College Cambridge, Dr Rowan Williams. Inspired by the fleshandblood campaign, we commissioned Revd Dr Williams, a published poet, to pen his first poem since stepping down as Archbishop, which was subsequently published exclusively by The Guardian Newspaper. 

We also recorded traditional media reaches of 1.3 million for one-off events, 2 million twitter impressions for tweets referencing the campaign over a two week period and the most successful blood and organ donor recruitment drives in the history of the NHS.

OUR WORK

CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT  |  NATIONAL STRATEGY  |  RESEARCH  |

FUNDING MODEL  |  IA & UX  |  BRANDING & DESIGN  |

NARRATIVE & COMMUNICATIONS  |  ART DIRECTION  |

WEB DEVELOPMENT  |  EVENTS STRATEGY  |